These clean eating brownies are rich and delicious like traditional cake brownies, but this brownie recipe is made without refined sugar.
Brace yourself, I have a confession – I have never been a huge fan of chocolate. I know! Crazy right?
However, that is not the case when it comes to the rest of the family. They will do almost anything for chocolate, including chores and eating their vegetables!
Each time I was pregnant, chocolate tasted so good! In fact, with my second, the only thing I could eat for the first 2 months (because I was so sick) was Chocolate Carnation Instant breakfast. I kept thinking, this must be how good it tastes to everyone else. That is just one reason why I let my kids indulge in chocolate with Clean Eating Brownies.
Sure enough, both kids love chocolate. I hate buying it for them because almost everything that contains chocolate also contains a ton of added sugar. That’s when I started experimenting with different recipes to substitute chocolate with cocoa and honey.
Clean Eating Brownies
Clean Eating, Paleo and even Whole 30 Compliant!
I found this particular brownie recipe through Prepdish.com. The only modifications I made were to use less honey and the addition of flax seeds.
The texture is more like a fluffy cake than a dense brownie, but they are oh so good!
And because the main ingredients are Almond Butter and cocoa powder, I serve them to my kids for breakfast as we are running out the door. It gives them a boost of energy and the almond butter keeps them satisfied until snack time.
The best part is that you may already have most of the ingredients you need to make the clean eating brownies!
Ingredients for Homemade Brownies
- 1 – 16oz jar of Almond Butter
- 2/3 Cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Cacao Powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 3 Tablespoons ground Flax Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
How to make clean eating brownies:
In a large bowl, Stir together the Almond butter, honey or maple syrup, eggs and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients – cocoa powder, ground flax seed, baking soda and cinnamon
Pour in to a greased 9×13′ pan. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until the middle is cooked. It should be fluffy when you press on it.
- 1 16 oz jar Almond Butter
- 2/3 Cups Honey or Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cups Cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 3 Tbsp Flax (Ground)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix the Almond Butter, Honey or Maple Syrup, Eggs and Vanilla Extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Cacao Powder, Ground Flax, Baking Soda and Cinnamon
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×12 pan
- Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes, or until the center is cooked.