This dragon fruit smoothie is one of our favorite smoothie recipes, and its vibrant pink color never fails to impress! This sweet, delicious fruit has a flavor that is a cross between a pear and a kiwi and if you’ve never tried it before, now is the time!
Just wait until you taste this smoothie recipe!
What Is Dragon Fruit?
Dragon fruit is a tropical fruit grown primarily in Mexico and Central America. It grows on a cactus type plant and it comes in two varieties – White fleshed or Pink fleshed.
Either variety will work in this recipe, but the pink-fleshed variety will give you a brighter color!
If you haven’t tried it before, you may also be wondering what dragon fruit tastes like. The easiest way to describe the texture is like a star fruit, or Asian pear. It is slightly crunchy but still soft. This makes it ideal in salads too!
The flavor is a cross between a pear and a kiwi and oddly enough, it has no smell!
Why Is Dragon Fruit So Expensive?
Dragon fruit is an exotic fruit that can be hard to find in a regular supermarket. Its popularity has recently taken off and now the demand exceeds the supply…which caused the prices to soar.
A more affordable option is to find frozen dragon fruit in the store. I first found it in an assorted tropical fruit mix at Costco. I just picked out the dragon fruit pieces.
However, now you can find a bag of frozen dragon fruit in the supermarket. This is so much cheaper than buying it fresh, and you don’t have to figure out how to prepare it!
What Fruit Goes Well With Dragon Fruit
This smoothie is delicious as is, but if you want to change it up or add some variety to your smoothie routine, there are some delicious friuts that pair well with dragon fruit! Try adding a few of these:
Smoothies are so fast and easy to make that they have become a go to in our house. It is also an easy way to make sure you and your family is getting vegetables.
In addition to using YourSuper Powders, I also add spinach to our smoothies. The kids can’t even taste it!
Step 1: Juice half of a lemon and add it to a blender
Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients (this is where you can also add spinach and superfoods) and blend until smooth.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy! That is seriously how easy it is and this recipe makes 2 servings so you can share it with someone or place one glass in the fridge for another day!
Can Smoothies Be Healthy?
Yes! What makes smoothies unhealthy are the added sugars. Here are a few tips to keep your smoothie healthy!
- Make sure that the only sugar in your smoothie is from fruits. Certain fruits like bananas and apples add sugar without overpowering the smoothie. If you are concerned about weight loss, limit the fruits since even natural sugar can be a problem
- Add some superfoods to your smoothie (always check with your doctor first). Here are a few to try: Flax Seeds, Chia Seeds, Hemp Hearts, Maca Powder, Cacao Powder and Super Green powders. Here are some other way to add protein to your smoothies
- If you are making this smoothie for your kids, here are some other tips on how to make smoothies for kids
Looking For More Smoothie Ideas? Try These Kid-Friendly Recipes!:
- Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- 27 Kid Friendly Smoothies With No Protein Powder
- Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
- Spinach, Strawberry, Banana Smoothie
- 1/3 cup pink dragon fruit, peeled and frozen
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 bananas, peeled and frozen
- Juice of half lemon
- Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Divide into 2 portions and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 5gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information was calculated automatically. Please verify accuracy