Growing up in Hawaii, I have a love of all Asian foods! But once we started eating clean, more than half the food was off limits. So I am going to start attempting to clean up some of my favorite recipes. This Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe is the first!
Healthy Chinese Chicken Salad
Chinese Chicken Salad is a staple in Hawaii. I remember eating it at weddings, first birthday parties and family get togethers. Though I no longer live in Hawaii, the dish has become a staple in our house. I even bring it to work potlucks or dinners with friends.
The Asian Salad Dressing is also very versatile. Try it with mixed greens, mandarin oranges and sliced toasted almonds!
Clean Eating Recipe
It can be difficult to clean up the food I grew up eating. Part of the nostalgia is eating it the way my family would make it. But now that we have been eating clean for years, it is time for me to try to make the traditional dishes healthier. This recipe will be the first one I post, but I will continue to add more. Let me know if you have a favorite dish I should attempt too!
First things first, there are crunchy noodles on traditional Chinese Chicken salads, but they are not considered clean eating. I substituted Soba noodles instead. Soba noodles are made with buckwheat. They are considered clean and the kids also love them! There are several brands, but I recently discovered the Hakubaku Organic Somen and it is my favorite.
If you are not familiar with soba, this is what it looks like when cooked:
Traditional Chinese Chicken Salad uses Cabbage. I rarely have cabbage on hand and I actually prefer mixed greens. I recommend the power green mix from Costco which I also mix with purple cabbage to add a little crunch! But romaine lettuce or cabbage would work well too.
Putting it All Together
This dish is very easy to make, but there are a few tips and tricks on this one:
- Make the Salad dressing ahead of time. The longer it sits, the better it will taste. If you didn’t have time, make it first, before you start chopping the salad or cooking the chicken
- You can use leftover chicken. If you don’t have leftovers, boil chicken thighs with fresh ginger for extra flavor!
- Do not skimp on the cilantro. It really makes the dish!
- Do not overcook the Soba noodles or they will be mushy. They should be a similar texture to spaghetti noodles.
This Clean Eating Chinese Chicken Salad recipe is as delicious at the original recipe! The Asian salad dressing can also be used on any type of salad!
- 1 Pound Chicken shredded
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuceor mixed greens chopped
- 1/4 Head Purple Cabbage Optional
- 2 Cups Celery Slivered
- 2 Bunches Cilantro Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/3 Cup Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Olive or Avocado Oil
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seed Optional
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts Optional
- 1 Package Soba Noodles Optional
Cook the noodles according to the package. Cool
Put the Soba noodles in a large bowl. Add the lettuce, cabbage, celery and cilantro
Top with shredded chicken
In a small bowl or Pyrex measuring cup, mix all the dressing ingredients. Let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Before service, whisk the dressing and pour over the salad. Toss gently. Top with optional sesame seeds and peanuts