The delicious combination of chocolate and blueberries make this Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie a summertime favorite! It’s amazing on a hot summer day but also tastes great as an early morning grab-and-go breakfast any time of year.
Smoothies are a go-to for many families (mine included) because it can be made in less than 5 minutes, and they are filling and healthy!
This chocolate blueberry combination is my kids favorite smoothie, but they also enjoy other fruit smoothie recipes like the Good Morning Tropical Smoothie With Spinach or our Spinach, Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe.
What Blends Well With Blueberries?
Blueberries are such a versatile ingredient. You can add different berries for a fruitier flavor or add some chocolate for a deep, depth of flavor.
Here are a few ingredients you can add to your blueberry smoothie to change it up!
- Berries – Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, etc.
- Frozen Banana – Bananas are a natural sweetner so they pair well with blueberries
- Cocoa Powder or Dark Chocolate – You’ll see in this recipe that the chocolate intensifies the blueberry flavor
- Almond Butter or Peanut Butter- Almond butter has a subtle flavor in smoothies but it really changes the overall flavor (in a good way!)
- Maple Syrup or Dates – If the blueberries are underripe or a little sour, a teaspoon of maple syrup or a few dates can really sweeten it
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla and blueberries are an amazing match. If you want an easy upgrade, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Protein Powder – I created this recipe after trying Chocolate Truvani powder blended with blueberries. It’s so delicious and this tastes like it!
In this Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie, we are going to keep it simple and stick to the basic ingredients. Feel free to dress it up however you want!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Water – You can also substitute almond milk or any dairy free milk of choice for a creamy and delicious smoothie
- Frozen blueberries – They must be frozen or the smoothie will be watery. If you don’t have frozen blueberries, add some ice cubes to thicken the smoothie
- Frozen Bananas – Frozen bananas make the smoothie sweet and creamy, so it is a must!
- Cacao Powder – Cocoa powder works just as well
- Maple Syrup – This is optional but adds a little bit of sweetness if your fruits aren’t sweet. You could substitute honey or dates
Step by step photos for a Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
How To Make a Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
Add all the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth!
Important Teaching Tips For This Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie Recipe
- Everything costs more these days! Use frozen blueberries in place of fresh to save time and money. Frozen fruit works best in smoothies, so instead of freezing fresh fruit, just buy it frozen.
- There is a trick to making a perfect smoothie. Add the liquid first, then veggies or berries, and then top it off with heavy fruits or frozen fruits.
- If your fruits are not frozen, or if you just want it to be a little thicker, add some ice cubes until you get the right consistency. It’s likely around 1 cup of ice cubes.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
Cocolate brings out the flavor of the blueberries but you can also add a pinch of cinnamon to the smoothie for even more depth. Cinnamon is known to enhance the blueberry flavor in desserts.
If you are buying frozen blueberries, you do not need to wash them but if you are using fresh blueberries, you will want to wash them thoroughly, let them dry and then freeze them for the smoothie.
It sure is! Blueberries contain antioxidants and they have lots of vitamins and potassium! They make a healthy snack and frozen blueberries are amazing on their own on very hot days.
You’ll be surprised how many different fruits and vegetables go well with blueberries. Almost any fruit or berry would complement blueberries, as well as vegetables with light flavors like spinach, pumpkin or zucchini.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Tropical Smoothie With Spinach
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
- 27 Healthy Kid Friendly Smoothie Recipes – With No Protein Powder
- Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- Spinach, Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- How To Make a Smoothie For Kids (Picky Eaters!)
- Plant Based Protein For Smoothies
- Rich Chocolate Milk Shake
Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
The delicious combination of chocolate and blueberries make this Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie a summertime favorite! It's amazing on a hot summer day but also tastes great as an early morning grab-and-go breakfast any time of year.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Banana, Frozen
- 1 Cup Blueberries, Frozen
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- Add the water, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, cocoa powder, and maple syrup to the blender
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into glasses and serve
Optional - top with blueberries, cocoa powder, hemp hearts or cocoa nibs